The Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria [CIPM] is the regulatory body for the practice of Human Resource Management in Nigeria. The Institute was established in 1968 and is chartered by Act 58 of 1992.
The cradle of the Institute was the Department of Management Studies, Yaba College of Technology, Yaba. It started as the Personnel Management Association of Nigeria and in 1973, it was renamed and has since taken on the current name.
The Institute was chartered by Decree No. 58 of 1992.
The Institute is a corporate body charged with the general duties of:
- Determining what standard of knowledge and skills are to be attained by persons seeking to become registered as personnel management/HR practitioners and raising these standards from time to time as circumstances may permit.
- Securing in accordance with the provisions of the decree, the establishment and maintenance of a register of members and publication from time to time of the lists of those persons.
- Regulating and controlling the profession in all its aspects and ramifications; performing through the Council under the Decree the functions conferred on it by the Decree.
OBJECTIVES OF THE INSTITUTE
- To promote and develop the science and practice of personnel management/HR in all its ramifications.
- To foster and maintain investigations and research into the best means, methods of applying the science and art of personnel management/HR and to encourage, extend, increase, disseminate and promote knowledge and the exchange of information and ideas with regard to all questions relating thereto or connected therewith.
- Develop and maintain high standards of professional competence and ensure that the management of human resources in Nigeria, both in the public and private sectors, conforms with the best professional standard; To conduct research into and publish materials on all matters relating to the discipline of HRM.
“To be the foremost people management Institute in Africa, respected across the world”
“To Regulate the Practice of Human Resource Management in Nigeria and Promote Excellence in the Acquisition and Application of Knowledge and Skills by Practitioners thereby contributing to sustainable National Development”
OUR CORE VALUES
S - Service
C - Creativity
R - Result
I - Integrity
P - Professionalism
T - Teamwork